I absolutely love Halloween, but it's not just the lure of Halloween, it's October itself. October is my favorite month of the whole year. The weather is beautiful everywhere, in California it is the first month that you start to smell fires burning in people's fireplaces, carving pumpkins is one of my secret talents (not to mention its rediculously fun), the pumpkin patch in Half Moon Bay is home to some of my favorite memories, and my Halloween nights in Portola Valley are unforgetable, and last but not least Ironman Kona is in October!

Every year I count down the days until October 1, when I can put out my Halloween decorations without looking like an idiot (if I had my way I'd put them out in August). Pat seems utterly incapable of understanding my love of October and Halloween, and always groans when the decorations come out. It's not like I'm a Martha Stewart type who has decorations for every holiday, half the time we don't even get a Christmas tree! (I know it's sad but when you work in tourism like Pat and I do, Christmas isn't a holiday that's particularly fun). We get a list at the hotel where I work before the holidays come, and we all check boxes to indicate what our first, second and third choice holidays to have off. People may think I'm crazy when I ignore Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years day, and make my own box for Halloween sighting that it is my first, second and third choice "holiday" to have off.
Every year I count down the days until October 1, when I can put out my Halloween decorations without looking like an idiot (if I had my way I'd put them out in August). Pat seems utterly incapable of understanding my love of October and Halloween, and always groans when the decorations come out. It's not like I'm a Martha Stewart type who has decorations for every holiday, half the time we don't even get a Christmas tree! (I know it's sad but when you work in tourism like Pat and I do, Christmas isn't a holiday that's particularly fun). We get a list at the hotel where I work before the holidays come, and we all check boxes to indicate what our first, second and third choice holidays to have off. People may think I'm crazy when I ignore Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years day, and make my own box for Halloween sighting that it is my first, second and third choice "holiday" to have off.
My mom used to throw us the funnest Halloween parties, we'd do one huge party with three different ages of kids invited from me, Mandy and Ben's classes (she must be crazy!) The parties were awesome, with apple bobbing, a doughnut hang, and even red light green light where you got a whipped cream pie smashed in your face for getting caught running the light. She has also made us some of the most amazing costumes ever. I remember her staying up all night, finding her delerious Halloween morning having made the most beautiful witch costume for me complete with a five layered skirt, including the glittery black fabric that I just had to have but was a nightmare to sew. Anyways Halloween and October have always been special to me, just thought I'd share because Im way to hyped about these decorations and Pat's just not nearly excited enough about them. Maybe one of you will be!
Happy Halloween!

2 comments:
I love the decoration!! I'm trying to convince Kol we should decorate for holidays but he's too much of a grump!
Your mom gave J & C the Halloweener - great book - I could tell she loved Halloween with an awesome pick like that...the boys are going to be "wild things"
Post a Comment