Saturday, March 3, 2007

"California Pat"

Funny Tidbit - So when Pat was in the course to get his Captain's liscense he would work during the day, go to school at night, get home around 10p.m. and still find time to study. He worked SO hard, and was completely dedicated. He had to learn things like which configuration of lights should be used on a ships mast when sailing a 50 foot vessel through fog above the Mississippi River, (no I'm not kidding) he really had to learn that. He just crammed and filled his brain with the most tedious material I have ever seen. Anyways, the Captain's course all boils down to the dreaded "test day", a rigerous and I am sure terrifying series of tests one after another, graded on the spot, to tell you weather your months of hard work was worth it. And this isn't like the DMV here, you have to pass with close to 90%!! So of course I knew Pat would pass, so I went ahead and took a leap of faith, ordering him a delicious ice-cream cake (mint-chip with chocolate cake, since that enhances this story so much more) that was supposed to say, "Congratulations Captain Pat" to pick up on test day. (Pat continues to insist that ordering the cake before knowing he passed was a "risky little game" and if he had failed (which he didn't) it would have been because I "jinxed" him (even though he knew nothing about it)) So I go to Baskin Robbins to find a cake that says "Congrats Ca. Pat". I'll admit I was a little confused. Maybe Ca. is an abbreviation for Captain, maybe this confectionary artist knows something I don't? So I take it home, and as I suspected Ca. is indeed NOT an abbreviation for Captain. But the show must go on, so Pat gets home, I time it so that the candles are lit when he walks in the door. Poor thing so tired and delerious from weeks of stress and cramming, Pat looks up at me with a mildly confused look on his face and says Congrats California Pat? He was so sweet and adorably delerious I just said, yeah Congrats California Pat.

5 comments:

angie said...

he had to know about sailing a boat on the Mississippi! that is the funniest thing ever--well, right after the baskins and robbins dude who couldn't figure out how to fit "Captain" on the cake!

catherine said...

I love that story. I don't think I could even repeat that Mississippi question if I read it 50 times, let alone, remember the obscure answer. Way to Go Pat!!! And thanks Jessie for being so proud and so sweet
Catherine

For now said...

Great minds must think a like:

before I read through "California Pat" just looking at the picture- I thought "oh, that must be an abbreviation for captian:)" Now I am laughing right out loud!

For now said...

Side note: where is Myra? Have you told her about the blog!?!

Lane said...

First of all, how cool is it that you are a Captain????

If you had a kid, all the other kids would be like, my dad's an accountant, and yours would be like, mine is a BOAT CAPTAIN and he would win the "My Dad can beat up your Dad" contest every time.

If I were getting married I would for sure have it performed by CAPTAIN PAT.

P.S. I hope you don't mind if I read your blog sometimes.

-Lane